Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Occam's Razor and the X factor...

Because my life is so interesting and fun, fun and interesting things happen to me constantly. Quite often several of those things can happen nearly simultaneously, almost appearing (to the untrained eye) as if I have my life together. Huh? You want examples? Ok.

Last night at 9:43, I was eating filet mignon, drinking a $200 bottle of wine (vendor-sponsored dinner meeting. Tee hee hee.) At 10:39pm, I was cruising blissfully with my top down, en route to the local for a pint with Garrett. At 11:06 I was supping said pint, albiet slowly because of the earlier activities. At 11:11, I saw TK421. Yes, that's right, TK421 appeared at the local. (For those not in the know, refer to an earlier entry entitled "The Irony of Life: A Quartet of Misery Performed in Eighteen Minutes".)Could it be? Could it possibly be TK421 had entered the fray once again? Well, yes. Sort of. Technically, she entered the bar. But she never actually made it inside, as someone called to her, and she promptly left. Sigh.

On with the show.

At 11:53 I was in another local, sipping yet more beer (At this point I had had five different types of alcohol over the course of the evening. Prep work for my sojurn with The Silver Fox.) We were trying to enter a game of darts, to no avail. At 12:10 or so we wound up at the local meat market, drinking (gee, imagine that.) Fuzzy wuzzy!

Well, I think I've painted a fair picture of the scenario up till then. So, what happens now? There is a postulate named for the 14th century English logician and Franciscan friar who formulated it, called Occam's Razor. In its original form, the principle is

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem. (Remember, 14th century friarspeak here. All God, latin, n' booze.)

English translation,

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity.

Simply stated,

Of two equivalent theories or explanations, all other things being equal, the simpler one is to be preferred.

We shall apply it here, to my situation last night.

Let's examine the facts.

a. I've been drinking.
b. I'm all dressed up in my fancy pants and tie.
c. I'm having a great time.
d. I've seen TK421.
e. I'm headed for a bar I usually don't frequent.

Well, as O's theory states, what is the simpler answer to "what happened next?"
Of course! Something 'bad.' It's gotta be that way.

What was it?

X.

Staring me straight in the face; screaming as she plowed through a crowd to get to me and Garrett, where she would remain smotheringly so until my departure.

And, Y.

Drinking with her, unable to chat with me.

Yep.

A volte dovete ridere semplicemente.

No comments: