Friday, July 23, 2004

Why?

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just a little daft in the head.

But why does it seem is though America consistently fucks up? Why do we seemingly always drop the ball when it comes to doing the right thing?

I thought of this as I read The Silver Fox's entry regarding the Tour de France. It got me thinking. Why does the world hate us so?

It couldn't be the whole Iraq thing, could it? Such subversive behavior couldn't be it.

Maybe it's the whole Americans cheat at practically everything we compete at because we are so about the fame and money and 'glory' that we leave our dignity and integrity in the poop sample we send to the BALCO lab? Nah, couldn't be that.

Perhaps it's scandal after scandal spanning every conceivable arena: Martha Stewart, Enron, the Presidency, sports figures (remember the "13-year-old" that won the Little League World Series for new york by throwing 90-mph heat? They cheat in Little League, for fuck's sake. Disgusting.) But, maybe that's not it.

Could it be the way we simply take what we want, when we want it? Possibly.

Maybe it's simply because we are the bullies of the world, and have been for a long, long time.

And who doesn't like to see the bully get their friggin' asses handed to them?

Boy, it's getting tougher and tougher to hold my head high when I say I'm an American.

No comments: